AIDS? Si cura con le erbe (forse)

Notizie scientifiche e mediche riguardanti il virus, l'infezione e la malattia da HIV. Farmaci, vaccini e cure in sperimentazione.
skydrake

AIDS? Si cura con le erbe (forse)

Messaggio da skydrake » martedì 28 febbraio 2012, 18:25

Incredibile, ma è quello che spinge molte persone a recarsi in Abuja, in Nigeria, per provare i cocktail di erbe medicinali disponibili, i quali stanno creando sempre più controversie.
Se da un lato vi sono persone che giurano che con tali cocktail hanno tratto (momentaneo) giovamento, in tale cittadina si può trovare di tutto, anche rimedi afrodisiaci e contro le più disparate malattie.
Del resto poche persone in Nigeria hanno accesso ai farmaci antiretrovirali occidentali e così il mito di erbe medicinali che aiutano il sistema immunitario si fa sempre più forte, così forte che moltissimi intraprendono questo viaggio della speranza, cominciando a creare problemi ai residenti di questa cittadina africana. Venditori di erbe a parte.

fonte:
http://allafrica.com/stories/201202280679.html

Nigeria: HIV/Aids - Controversy Over Herbal Cure?

As the world waits with bated breath for the emergence of a cure for the dreaded HIV/AIDS virus, numerous claims of herbal cures inundate residents of Abuja.

'When I tested HIV positive in 1997, my husband fled home and went to marry another woman. I was eventually driven away from our residence.

A friend came to my rescue by offering me shelter in a place that you had to crawl on your knees before you could get in. My father also had abandoned me to my fate, my child who was in a private school had to be withdrawn and sent to the village. I am glad he is HIV negative and now eleven years old.

At eleven, he is just in primary three, someone who should have been in JSS3. Since I had no job, and virtually been abandoned, I found it difficult to meet basic needs such as food. In spite of all these, a traditional doctor deceived us with claims of a cure. I sold the little belongings that I have for his miracle.

My situation became worse. Someone came to our meeting-people living with the ailment- that he has a cure for HIV/AIDS, I said great, but before we will believe him he will allow me to inject him with my blood, if he is able to cure himself I promise I will take him to NACA (National Action Committee on HIV/AIDS), he left without looking back.'

That was the testimony of Wunmi (surname withheld) a woman living with the HIV/AIDS virus. Although she was later to get involved actively in the war against discrimination against the disease, her most traumatic experiences, apart from stigma, were in the hands of persons, particularly traditional medical personnel, who claimed they could give her a cure for the ailment, a claim that eventually led her to spend huge sums that failed to give her the much needed relief.

Today, according to medical experts, the disease has no cure apart from a cocktail of drugs called antiretroviral therapy, ART that can keep the virus under control and give the carrier a lifeline. Despite the assertion, many still claim to have 'proven' cure for the disease.

Angela's own testimony has a semblance of sorts to the above story, however, without the toga of discrimination experienced by Wumi.

She found out about her own positive status after her wedding. Being pregnant, she had been billed to undergo some antenatal therapy, which involved a sequence of tests to be carried out, HIV/AIDS screening inclusive. Her world came crashing down immediately after receiving the news. 'I had a very understanding husband who stood by me ,despite knowing full well my status. He helped me get my confidence and happiness back.

Till date I cannot say how I got the disease. But I have left all that in the past now...' she says.

She went down a traumatic path however, before she left all in the hands of fate. 'I thought the disease could be cured just like all other sexually transmitted ones, but I found out otherwise after paying a fortune to quacks. There was a time that one could easily get assurances of a cure by reading through the newspapers. Whenever I saw any such advertisement, I would take the number down and contact the person.

I spent a lot trying to get the cure all to no avail. It even became worse. It was only then I simply made up my mind to rely on the ARVs, which could at least prolong your life, and could be gotten free from government hospitals. I know one day a permanent cure would be gotten, or I would be healed divinely but I have made up my mind not to waste money searching for cure.'

At the Berger bus stop, a short sign with red inscription, HIV? CALL, cannot be ignored by all who pass through that part of the federal capital territory. It is, however, not the only sign promising cure for the dreaded disease. Several such signs can be found around the city, some subtle, others more prominent.

Nigeriahivinfo.com a resource on the strides in the fight against the scourge has this to say about the seemingly symbiotic relationship that now exists between the media, and supposed herbal remedies for the scourge.

It says inter alia that, 'the trend has however assumed a new dimension, especially in the print medium, with various adverts of so-called experts promising to cure anything from sexual impotence to HIV/AIDS, gonorrhoea, diabetes, menstrual irregularity and impotence. One simply reads HIV/AIDS: The Reality & the Cure, to avoid death, stigmatization, suicidal tendencies, traumas arising from one's HIV status or AIDS; contact Dr. Jacob (second name withheld). Another one says 12 weeks is needed for HIV 1&2 and several others of such claims fill our newspaper...' perhaps only the elecronic media appears immune to the new trend observes the site.

At the Apo Mechanic village, a stone throw from area one, a young man who many simply call, 'doctor' goes around in a make shift mini truck, with which he transports vials of concoction, which he claims can cure a multiple number of sexually transmitted ailments, HIV inclusive. He appears to be a regular sight as many of the merchants hail him as he saunters by.

On this hot afternoon, he comes straight to the reporter to market his 'panacea' which he proudly displays on a daily basis. 'Oga I dey sell drugs wey go make madam happy when you use am (another way of marketing his aphrodisiacs which also form a sizeable part of his wares). When the reporter asks him if indeed he can cure sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV/AIDS, as stated on his truck, he becomes more frenetic in his response.

Interestingly, he switches to passable English. 'There is no disease that does not have cure my brother. God has given us herbs to take care of all these diseases. I have many of these herbs which have proven very useful in the manufacture of drugs to take care of the disease. If anyone tells you that there is no cure, then they are lying.' He then goes into a prolonged narration of many who have received the amazing 'AIDS cure', while he lambasts the authorities for not giving people like him a chance to come forward with their vaccines for the viral infection. He ends his vituperation with another offer to the reporter to buy his aphrodisiacs at reduced price.

A few others opine however that the authorities should at least give a chance to those who profess to have the herbal cure. One of such optimists is Kunle Sanyaolu, who is a public affairs analyst. He says of the trend: 'At the moment, many hospitals are turning down patients whose ailment they cannot understand. They brand them as being under spiritual attack.

Many such patients actually respond to herbal treatment when given by authentic traditional doctors. And there are many of these doctors around who confidently lay claim to treating HIV/AIDS and other pandemics. What is lacking now is spirited effort by the health authorities to mobilise these people, subject them to rigorous test with a view to assessing their claim and finding a true cure.

This will require a drastic and off-handed approach which unfortunately is apparently not being favoured. But we have to conduct research on blood-cleaning remedies through herbs and traditional medicine.

One reason why Nigerians must face the initiative in finding herbal cure for HIV/AIDS is that anti-retroviral drugs that are presently meant to suppress the development of AIDS in HIV patients, are expensive and not easily accessible by patients. They are manufactured largely abroad. Their importation is a big drain on the local economy.'

Dr Nathaniel Adewole of the Gwagwalada General Hospital, however states categorically that there is no cure ,herbal or whatsoever, for the scourge at present ,and that people suffering should be wary of spurious claims to that effect.

In a chat with Daily Trust he enthuses thus: 'Let me be emphatic about this. There is no cure for HIV-AIDS at present, be it herbal or western. Anyone who says he has a cure is only deceiving people ,and people should be careful of such claims. If anyone feels strongly that he or she has found a cure let them come forward for a Nobel Prize award which I am sure they deserve. We had such a claim from someone in the recent past. Where is the person today?

The only remedy for now are antiretroviral drugs, which when taken religiously reduces the virus in the blood, but does not cure the disease. What usually happens with some people is that after a while of taking medications, be it herbal or ARVs, they experience relief that makes them think they are now negative. But this ultimately leads to death for the victim, if he does not take care.

The only solution for now is ARVs which when taken regularly can lead to a normal life for sufferers. But for now, quote me anywhere; there is no cure for HIV-AIDS.