[STUDI] Sangamo: CD4 e staminali resi CCR5- mediante ZFN II

Ricerca scientifica finalizzata all'eradicazione o al controllo dell'infezione.
Dora

Re: [STUDI] Sangamo: CD4 e staminali resi CCR5- mediante ZFN

Messaggio da Dora » giovedì 26 luglio 2012, 5:18

Ieri la conference call di Sangamo con gli investitori (Sangamo BioSciences Reports Second Quarter 2012 Financial Results).

Quella che segue è la trascrizione fatta da seekingalfa.com della parte relativa all'SB-728-T.
  • Our therapeutic product, ZFN Modified Autologous CD4 T-cells is called SB-728-T. Thus far results from Phase I studies of this product have been very encouraging. The data demonstrated this. Statistically significant relationship between the level of engraftment of ZFN-modified cells in which both copies of the CCR5 gene disrupted, so-called biallelic modification, and the level of virus in the blood of HIV infected subjects during a treatment interruption from antiretroviral medication.

This observation is consistent with the hypothesis under which we began this program and with this clear early signal, at the beginning of the year, we moved quickly into two Phase II studies. The first trial, Cohort 5 SB-728-902 exclusively enrolled HIV infected subject that already carried a natural mutation, CCR5 delta-32 on one of their two copies of the CCR5 genes. These individuals, heterozygotes, the CCR5 delta-32 comprise approximately 5% to 10% of the population of HIV infected individuals in the U.S.

Competitive individuals with neither earlier modified as they already have one copy of the CCR5 gene disrupted by the natural mutation, treatment with our ZFNs results in roughly a doubling of the numbers of biallelically modified T-cells. This Phase II study follows up on an observation made in an earlier Phase I trial in which we measured a reduction in viral load to undetectable levels in a 728-T treated CCR5 delta-32 heterozygous individual during a treatment interruption or TI of the anti-viral medication. That individual although with undetectable viral load at the end of the TI is required as part of the protocol to go back on to heart.

Our new Phase II trial is structured so that a longer period of TI can be monitored, up to 20 HIV-infected CCR5 delta-32 heterozygous who are on HAART maybe enrolled in the trial. These subject to treated with 728-T and eight weeks later undergo a treatment interruption where they discontinue their HAART for a period of 16 weeks. If their viral loads decrease to undetectable levels they may remain of their HAART for as long as this affect assists enabling us to measure the durability of such a response.

When we began this study, we were uncertain as to the availability of subjects for this trial. As I’ve said before that represent only 5% to 10% of the HIV infected population in the U.S. However to date the challenge of enrollment in this study has been reduced as many HIV infected individuals are aware of the CCR5 gene status.

Our second trial SB-728-1101, which is applicable to the other 90% to 95% of the U.S. HIV infected population, was initiated later in the first quarter. This Phase I/II study employ the lymphopenic preconditioning regimen with the drug called Cytoxan intended to expand the numbers of biallelically modified cells in subjects post infusion. This preconditioning regimen, which temporarily reduces the number of lymphocytes in the body results in an increased in the levels of T-cell growth factors stimulating the remaining immune cells to rapidly expand and divide, so if we infuse 728-T immediately after preconditioning, we expect a significant increase in the numbers engrafted biallelically modified cells, potentially by orders of magnitude.

In this study, just prior to infusion of 728-T, we are pre-treating each subject with a dose of Cytoxan. Again, there is a 16 week TI built into the study, which begins six weeks after 728-T treatment and can be extended if subject obtained an undetectable viral load. This strategy has been previously used in individuals with HIV in a variety of settings.

However, as we are combining this with 728-T treatment, I need to explore the dose required for optimum pre-conditioning. We are carrying out a dose escalation phase of three dose cohorts each with three subjects per cohort. Dose escalation studies are frequently designed to include observation periods both between subjects enrolled into the trial and initiation of a new dose Cohort. And so, they generally take longer than a non-dose escalation trial of a similar size. In this study, we are required to wait for two weeks after the treatment of the subject before we treat the next subject in that Cohort. After the treatment of the final subject in the Cohort, we need to observe and collect data for four weeks and then present our findings to the Data Safety Monitoring Board before advancing to the next dose Cohort.

Thus while enrollment is progressing well in both of our studies, these trials would take time. We therefore expect to present preliminary data from all of the subjects in the first half of 2013 and a complete data set in the second half of 2013. As usual, we expect to present the data at a major medical meeting.

Consistent with that approach, I’m pleased to announce today that we have been notified the two abstracts have been accepted for presentation at ICAAC in September. These presentations will focus on important immunological analysis and methods for evaluating the [profile] reservoir from our earlier Phase I trials.

(...)

Charles Duncan – JMP Securities
    And congrats on the good progress. Edward thanks, heterozygous study Geoff mentioned that going into you were a little bit concerned about, whether or not patients knew their standards. Yes, he said that the challenge has been pretty much reduced. Can you provide a little bit more color on that? And second, fairly he also outlined nicely that kind of rate limiting steps and the second study to enrollment and trial completion. I am wondering if you could provide that for that state for the heterozygous study?

Edward Lanphier
    Yeah. So, Charles I’ll go a little bit on the first piece, and Geoff and Dale again can add or subtract to my comments. And then, I think I missed the second part. So maybe we can come back to that, but in terms of the accrual processes, I think I have mentioned several times, and when we started this study, given that the estimate of delta-32 HIV-infected subjects in the U.S. is in the 5% to 10% range, it was uncertain how difficult or not this trial would be to accrue and one of the observations that we’ve learned as we initiate this study was a, sort of surprising number of HIV subjects who did know their CCR5 status, and because of that we did have people showing up at the site saying, hey, I’m a [homo] delta-32.

So it ended up being, at least today, a more efficient process than maybe a worst-case scenario might have anticipated. Geoff or Dale any other thoughts about that part of the question?

Geoffrey M. Nichol
    No that’s pretty much itself, I mean we thought, we could get seriously enough with very, very few patients by the time we looked to their entry criteria and dealt with the CCR5 heterozygote issue requiring us to screen hundreds or thousands of patients in order to get the patients in, and that has not been set back. Nevertheless, we are making good progress with recruitment on both of the studies, you asked about the second study and that is very much just a timetable issue, we just are recruiting well, but we simply have to wait between patients and between cohorts. So it sort of it steps forward in a measured fashion.

Charles Duncan – JMP Securities
    Yeah, that part I understand. I’m sorry for miscommunicating. What I was really asking is if you could outline for the actual conduct of the heterozygous study, if there are any rate-limiting steps to the conduct of that as you did nicely for the lymphodepletion study? And then with regard to that heterozygous study, the knowledge of whether or not patient is dealt as a heterozygous. I’m wondering if that has changed your perspective on the percentage of those patients in the population and if that selects for certain patients in terms of social economic status or anything?

Edward Lanphier
    On the first question Charles, no, there are no analogous rate-limiting steps in the heterozygous study, (inaudible) dose escalation timeframes associated with the, as I talk some studies. So I know, there are no timing or gating items like that in terms of learning’s about the demographics or so on delta-32 subjects is there anything that Dale or Geoff you comment on that.

Geoffrey M. Nichol
    No, Charles again, I mean we are dealing with relatively few site sale, obviously have lot catchments in really quite – in their own geographical areas, and really there is nothing that we can really derive from that data that would speak to the broader epidemiological question you ask?

(...)Ted Tenthoff – Piper Jaffray
    Excellent, thank you very much for taking the question. And I appreciate very much the detail on the revenue side as we’re starting to see progress from Sigma and the details on the Shire deal. One quick question. I apologize if this is a bit dated, but are you still enrolling Cohort 5 from the Phase I study and will we get an update on that data or is the primary focus on the Phase II studies now?

Edward Lanphier
    So we initially – I’ll start here. We had four cohorts in that study. The Cohort 5 of that trial, that 902 trail is this delta-32.

Ted Tenthoff – Piper Jaffray
    Phase II.

Edward Lanphier
    Yeah, is the delta-32 trial.

Ted Tenthoff – Piper Jaffray
    Okay. So that’s what it’s become. Okay, excellent. That’s really helpful. And, so that’s the data that we will get interim results from both of the Phase II and the first half and full data by year end next year is that correct?

Edward Lanphier
    That’s absolutely correct.

Eilan

Messaggio da Eilan » giovedì 26 luglio 2012, 6:25

Se sapessi di avere 'sta mutazione mi fionderei là di corsa altrochè!

skydrake

Messaggio da skydrake » giovedì 26 luglio 2012, 10:29

Melisanda ha scritto:Se sapessi di avere 'sta mutazione mi fionderei là di corsa altrochè!
Considerata la tua bassa viremia, potrebbe anche essere

Eilan

Messaggio da Eilan » giovedì 26 luglio 2012, 20:05

skydrake ha scritto:
Melisanda ha scritto:Se sapessi di avere 'sta mutazione mi fionderei là di corsa altrochè!
Considerata la tua bassa viremia, potrebbe anche essere
Chissà forse, visto il plico di esami che hanno su di me potrei chiedere se magari mi hanno fatto pure questo esame, a me danno solo quel misero fogliettino con 4 numeri su e basta, per cui di me non so niente. Comunque l'ultima volta che Carletto ha visto Maggiolo gli ha chiesto che ne pensava di Sangamo, e stranamente visto che in genere alla domanda - ci sono novità? - gli ha sempre risposto di no oppure parlava solo sui farmaci, questa volta dice che ha tirato su il ciglio è ha detto - Interessante ma prima di due anni non se ne saprà nulla - insomma noi l'abbiamo reputato un successone già come risposta, poi a quale trial si riferisse non l'ha chiesto. :P

skydrake

Messaggio da skydrake » giovedì 26 luglio 2012, 20:45

Melisanda ha scritto: Chissà forse, visto il plico di esami che hanno su di me potrei chiedere se magari mi hanno fatto pure questo esame,
Sarebbe bello, ma è un esame raro perchè non rientra nella "pratica clinica": finora sapere di essere un CCR5-delta32 non cambia granchè nelle terapie che possono somministrare in un normale centro di malattie infettive. Finora.

Dora

Messaggio da Dora » giovedì 9 agosto 2012, 6:32

OHHH, FINALMENTE SI PARLA DI SOLDI IN UNA PROSPETTIVA RAGIONEVOLE!

Da parte di Jeff Sheehy, un attivista e un membro del consiglio direttivo del CIRM (California Institute for Regenerative Medicine), una accusa che fino a poco tempo fa, nelle sue motivazioni, sarebbe potuta parere assai stravagante: ha dichiarato che gli organizzatori di AIDS 2012 hanno dimostrato "una vera mancanza di immaginazione" non includendo nel programma del congresso appena conclusosi a Washington gli approcci di terapia genica perché sono costosi e non immediatamente applicabili in Africa.
Sheehy riconosce che l'approccio di Sangamo, se funzionerà, probabilmente all'inizio sarà costoso. Ma ritiene che potrebbe essere particolarmente utile per le persone che, pur in terapia, mantengono CD4 bassi.
Aggiunge, inoltre, che il costo della terapia genica potrebbe avere senso anche per i poveri delle aree urbane con problemi di sopravvivenza quotidiana tali da compromettere la loro aderenza alla ART.
Infine, sostiene che probabilmente Paesi come il Brasile e la Cina si butteranno nella ricerca di una terapia genica, perché per la ART pagano prezzi da Primo mondo, ma i loro costi dei medici e dei tecnici sono di gran lunga inferiori a quelli degli Stati Uniti.

Queste dichiarazioni sulla possibile convenienza economica di una terapia in stile Sangamo fanno il paio con quelle di Stephen Leblanc, un altro attivista di lungo corso che ora collabora con l'AIDS Policy Project, che ha dichiarato ieri in una intervista a Nelson Vergel per The Body che, presumibilmente, una terapia genica da 100.000 $ (modificazione di cellule + trapianto) all'inizio sarebbe disponibile soprattutto nei Paesi sviluppati. Ma questo non rende meno importante il fatto che venga sviluppata fin da ora.
I 25.000 $ all'anno di ARV spesi da ciascun paziente negli Stati Uniti, oggi sono 135 $ all'anno per i pazienti dei Paesi più poveri.
Inoltre, una cura che costasse anche 100.000 $ nel mondo sviluppato potrebbe comunque salvare centinaia di migliaia di vite e liberare delle risorse per trattare con gli ARV i pazienti dei Paesi in via di sviluppo.

A Vergel che gli chiedeva "If we find a cure, how much do you think it will cost? Will it be affordable to the developing world? How can we ensure that there is access for all when in fact we have limited access to ARVs 31 years into the epidemic?" - Leblanc ha risposto con il medesimo ragionamento fatto da Jeff Sheehy:

• "That is not really possible to say, but costs of various cellular modification and transplant techniques that might lead to a cure have been estimated by scientists and companies doing the research to cost today anywhere from about $40,000 to $100,000. While high, it is extremely cost effective when compared to the price of annual AIDS medications and care in the United States. Cancer chemotherapy, which is another rough model for what some types of possible cures might look like in terms of complexity and duration, has costs often around $5,000 to $30,000 but can range up much higher. So, while it is impossible to say what a cure might cost when we have limited ideas of what a cure will be in the end, with the technologies that today appear most promising or most of interest, an initial cure therapy might cost less than $100,000. In contrast, the lifelong cost of treatment for HIV/AIDS in the U.S. is at least $600,000.

India and Brazil have gene therapy labs and currently conduct gene therapy research in conjunction with U.S. scientists. In the future, these countries could be expected to make some similar cure therapies available much cheaper than in the richest countries.When procedures are scaled up, or automated, even complex cellular cures might be doable for under $25,000.

This is also without considering the enthusiasm in less-developed countries, such as China, India and Brazil, for developing stem cell therapies and cellular therapies in their own countries. These countries could be expected to make similar cure therapies, once demonstrated effective, available much cheaper than in the richest countries."

Fonti:
- HIV Cure: Missing Pieces
- What You Need to Know About HIV Cure Activism

Dora

Messaggio da Dora » venerdì 7 settembre 2012, 11:18

Ieri il presidente di Sangamo, Edward Lanphier, ha parlato alla Stifel Nicolaus 2012 Healthcare Conference e ha raccontato che a ICAAC 2012 (San Francisco, 9-12 settembre) verranno presentati gli ultimi risultati della sperimentazione di fase II sull'SB-782-T.
La presentazione sarà lunedì prossimo e si intitolerà: Preferential Expansion of Transitional (TTM) and Central Memory (TCM) CD4 T-Cells following Adoptive Transfer of ZFN CCR5 Modified Autologous CD4 T-Cells (SB-728-T).
Sarà poi seguita, martedì, da un poster presentato da Pablo Tebas e intitolato: Digital Droplet (DD) qPCR Allows Quantitation of HIV Proviral DNA in Aviremic HIV+ Subjects on HAART Treated with ZFN CCR5 Modified Autologous CD4 T-cells (SB-728-T).

Immagine

Anticipazione: ci sono aumenti sensibili dei CD4, soprattutto memoria centrale e memoria transitoria. Questo fa pensare a una ricostituzione immunitaria.
Non è nelle slides, ma Lanphier l'ha accennato di sfuggita durante la conferenza di ieri: pare che l'SB-728-T stia dimostrando anche un effetto antivirale.

Immagine

Dora

Messaggio da Dora » lunedì 10 settembre 2012, 18:02

Dora ha scritto:Ieri il presidente di Sangamo, Edward Lanphier, ha parlato alla Stifel Nicolaus 2012 Healthcare Conference e ha raccontato che a ICAAC 2012 (San Francisco, 9-12 settembre) verranno presentati gli ultimi risultati della sperimentazione di fase II sull'SB-782-T.
Ed ecco il comunicato stampa di Sangamo relativo alle due relazioni preasentate all'ICAAC. Come annunciato, l'SB-728-T sembra andare proprio bene per i CD4. Purtroppo, delle viremie dopo sospensione della ART non si sa nulla e temo dovremo aspettare ancora un po'.

September 10, 2012

Sangamo BioSciences Announces Presentation of Clinical Data from ZFP Therapeutic® for HIV/AIDS at ICAAC 2012 Findings Demonstrate Immune Reconstitution and Potential Success of "Functional Cure" in HIV-Infected Individuals

RICHMOND, Calif., Sept. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Sangamo BioSciences, Inc. (Nasdaq: SGMO) announced that data from its Phase 1 clinical programs to develop SB-728-T, a novel therapeutic approach designed to generate a "functional cure" for HIV/AIDS, were presented at the 52ND Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC). The meeting is being held in San Francisco from September 9-12, 2012.

"The immunologic data presented at ICAAC have predictive implications for the success of this exciting new therapeutic approach to HIV and the realization of a 'functional cure' for the disease," commented Rafick-Pierre Sékaly, Ph.D., Co-Director & Chief Scientific Officer, the Vaccine & Gene Therapy Institute of Florida (VGTI Florida), whose laboratory carried out the analysis. "SB-728-T treatment results in an unprecedented and durable increase in CD4+ cells. Importantly, our analysis shows that this is primarily due to the expansion of CD4+ T-cell types that are vital for the successful reconstitution of the immune system in HIV-infected individuals - the central and transitional memory cells."

"These data are very important because CD4 T-cells, especially memory T-cells, are precisely the cell type that we would want to protect and expand to enable HIV-infected individuals to control infections, and HIV, without antiretroviral drugs," added Dale Ando, M.D., Sangamo's vice president of therapeutic development and chief medical officer. "Our aim is to provide a protected reservoir of immune memory cells to replenish the cells killed by HIV and to generate an effective immune response against the virus and opportunistic infections. Central and transitional memory T-cells remember previously encountered foreign invaders, such as viruses or bacteria. These cells can survive in the body for the individual's lifetime, and when they re-encounter the same antigen they reactivate, producing a faster and stronger immune response than the previous encounter. SB-728-T seems to both expand the total memory pool, and by CCR5 modification, protect a proportion of that pool from HIV entry, suggesting that SB-728 treatment has the potential to reconstitute and protect an effective and durable immune system in HIV-infected individuals."

SB-728-T is generated by ZFN-mediated modification of the gene encoding the CCR5 receptor in a patient's own T-cells, disrupting the expression of this key co-receptor for HIV entry and rendering the modified cells resistant to HIV infection.

In an oral presentation made on Monday, September 10TH, 2012 at ICAAC, data were presented from all dosing cohorts of Sangamo's Phase 1 dose-escalation study (SB-728-902) in subjects on highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART). The data demonstrate that SB-728-T infusion in HIV-infected subjects is well-tolerated, and results in significant and sustained increases in CD4+ T-cells above baseline throughout the year-long period reported in the study. Statistically significant improvement in CD4 counts were observed even at 12 months post infusion (p < 0.038). In particular, CD4 counts improved to greater than 500 cells/mm3 in five of nine subjects in the study at one year post-treatment, which is the usual T-cell count threshold for initiation of HAART in HIV-infected subjects.

Analysis of the specific types of CD4 T-cells that comprise the initial increase in CD4+ T-cells post-infusion revealed that they were primarily transitional memory T-cells (TTM). The frequency of TTM expressing CD25 (a marker that identifies activated T-cells) within the SB-728-T product correlated with the peak CD4 count post-infusion (r=0.733, p=0.0172). This suggests that replication of activated TTM SB-728-T cells post-infusion accounts for the initial peak improvement in CD4+ T-cells. As the infused cells consist of only 1-10% of total memory cells at six months post-treatment, the prolonged increase in absolute numbers of CD4+ T-cells may be accounted for by the enhanced survival and differentiation of host central memory T-cells (TCM). Specifically, while the magnitude of the increase in TTM positively correlated with the peak of CD4+ T-cells in the first weeks post-infusion (r= 0.9, p=0.083), the increase in TCM correlated with the maintenance of high CD4+ T cell counts at later time points (r= 0.9, p=0.083). Proliferation of the SB-728-T product post-infusion was sustained over the year-long period reported in the study with median modified circulating cell numbers measured to be 2.04-fold relative to input at 7 days, 0.96-fold at 6 months and 1.15-fold at 1 year post-infusion.

These preliminary data confirm the prolonged engraftment of SB-728-T, and suggest that SB-728-T has the attributes to provide sustained improvement in the CD4 memory compartment and the potential to reconstitute the immune system in immune non-responders.

"Our Phase 1 trials continue to provide valuable insight into the durability and unprecedented effects of SB-728-T treatment on immune system health in HIV-infected individuals," said Geoff Nichol, M.B., Ch.B., Sangamo's executive vice president of research and development. "In addition we are making good progress in two Phase 2 clinical trials designed to maximize the engraftment of SB-728-T. We expect to present preliminary data in the first half of 2013 and a full data set in the second half of next year. The ground-breaking clinical data that we and our collaborators are generating continues to validate this treatment as a promising approach to provide a 'functional cure' for HIV/AIDS."

ICAAC Presentations

Abst.#H533: "Preferential expansion of transitional (TTM) and Central Memory(TCM) CD4 T-cells following adoptive transfer of ZFN CCR5 Modified Autologous CD4 T-cells".
Monday, September 10, 2012: Oral session 073 (H) New Antiretroviral Therapy: Bench to Bedside.

Abst.#H-1581: "Digital droplet PCR (DD) qPCR allows quantiation of HIV proviral DNA in aviremic HIV+ subjects on HAART treated with ZFN CCR5 modified autologous CD4 T-cells (SB-728-T)."
Tuesday, September 11, 2012, Poster Session 180 (H) HIV-I Resistance, Tropism and Novel Laboratory Methods

The presentation will describe a new highly sensitive method developed by Sangamo scientists that enables accurate quantification of very low copy numbers of HIV DNA genomes, which may be a useful tool for evaluating interventions targeting the HIV reservoir, particularly Sangamo's approach to a 'functional cure' for the disease. For a more complete description of the technique click here. (...)

Aggiunta del 20/09/2012

ICAAC 2012: Zinc Finger Gene Therapy Leads to Gains in CD4 T-Cells, Especially Memory Cells

by Liz Highleyman

(...) At ICAAC, Joumana Zeidan from the Vaccine and Gene Therapy Institute in Port St Lucie, Florida, presented findings from a small study of cell expansion in a subset of people who received the zinc finger nuclease treatment in clinical trials. The researchers wanted to know if preferential expansion of specific types of CD4 T-cells -- for example, naive cells, central memory cells, transitional memory cells, or effector memory cells -- accounted for observed gains.

This analysis included 9 HIV positive people who maintained undetectable HIV viral load on ART but whose CD4 count remained in the 200-500 cells/mm3 range. Participants received single infusions containing 5 billion to 30 billion modified SB-728-T cells.

Results
  • - Participants experienced significant CD4 cell increases from baseline, with median gains of 223 cells/mm3 at 14 days, 164 cells/mm3 at 6 months, and 93 cells/mm3 at 12 months; however, gains varied widely among individuals.

- 5 of 9 patients achieved CD4 levels above 500 cells/mm3, until recently considered the threshold for ART initiation (the latest U.S. guidelines recommend starting treatment regardless of CD4 count).

- Naive cells, including recent thymic emigrants, did not contribute significantly to the observed CD4 cell increases.

- Gains were primarily due to increases in transitional memory T-cells, but participants also saw increases in central memory T-cells.

- Transitional and effector memory SB-728-T cells showed high levels of expression of activation markers such as HLA-DR, CD28, and CD25.

- No major safety issues were identified.

- The lack of increase in recent thymic emigrant naive T-cells "suggests that production of new T-cells by the thymus is not implicated in the sustained increase of CD4 T-cells," the researchers explained.

Rather, the frequency of transitional memory cells expressing activation markers "suggests that the activated transitional memory SB-728-T product cells expand following infusion and account for the early changes in CD4 counts."

"Subjects with more robust increases in CD4 counts had greater central memory CD4 T-cell reconstitution," they continued. "Durable increase in CD4 T-cells may be due to enhanced survival and differentiation of the endogenous central memory CD4 T-cells."

"These preliminary data suggest that SB-728-T has the attributes to provide sustained improvement in the CD4 compartment and the potential to reconstitute the immune system," they concluded.

cesar78

Messaggio da cesar78 » martedì 9 ottobre 2012, 17:25

Vi sottopongo una (mia) traduzione di un articolo apparso in questi giorni sulla rivista del Wall Street Journal "MarketWatch", che contiene ultime news sulla terapia 728...

La cura funzionale per HIV di Sangamo potrebbe disturbare il mercato farmaceutico?
Secondo il CEO Ed Lanphier della Sangamo Biosciences, la tecnologia di terapia genica potrebbe finire per disturbare il più ampio mercato farmaceutico, fornendo «cure» per le patologie causate da alcuni malfunzionamenti genetici, in modo da liberare i pazienti da terapie farmacologiche ingombranti e spesso costose.

Prodotto di punta della società, una terapia cellulare chiamata SB-728, che ha già dimostrato di essere molto promettente nel trattamento di HIV / AIDS. Sono attualmente in corso studi di Fase II per verificare se questa terapia può aiutare a ricostruire il sistema immunitario di pazienti HIV e malati di AIDS, in modo da consentire loro di eliminare del tutto le terapie anti-virali farmacologiche. La società prevede di svelare i preliminari di fase II nella prima metà del 2013.

"Il nostro obiettivo non è solo trattare, ma creare una 'cura funzionale' per l'HIV", ha detto Lanphier, nel corso di una recente intervista con MarketWatch.

L'entusiasmo per il trattamento sperimentale HIV ha contribuito alla spinta di Sangamo in crescita del 11% negli ultimi 30 giorni e 116% da inizio anno. Le azioni hanno anche avuto una spinta enorme a febbraio, quando Sangamo ha annunciato una partnership con Shire PLC SHPG per sviluppare trattamenti per l'emofilia e altre malattie genetiche.
[...]
"Penso che l'emozione sia dovuta alla crescente percezione che la nostra tecnologia può aprire la strada a cure genetiche", ha detto Lanphier. Egli ha osservato che molti pazienti affetti da malattie genetiche sono spesso dipendenti da terapie farmacologiche altamente costose e complicate da sopportare.

"Il nostro trattamento potrebbe sicuramente essere destabilizzante per alcuni mercati farmaceutici molto affermati e stabili", ha aggiunto.

Il prossimo evento potenzialmente interessante sarà nel mese di novembre, quando Sangamo presenterà i dati preclinici in una riunione della Society for Neuroscience sulla sua terapia sperimentale per la malattia di Huntington.

"La gente capirà perché siamo così entusiasti", ha detto Lanphier.

Dora

Messaggio da Dora » mercoledì 10 ottobre 2012, 6:01

cesar78 ha scritto:Il prossimo evento potenzialmente interessante sarà nel mese di novembre, quando Sangamo presenterà i dati preclinici in una riunione della Society for Neuroscience sulla sua terapia sperimentale per la malattia di Huntington.

"La gente capirà perché siamo così entusiasti", ha detto Lanphier.
Speriamo che non faccia la stessa figuraccia che fece l'anno scorso, dicendo mirabilia sul farmaco contro la neuropatia diabetica e il giorno dopo interrompendo il trial per manifesta inefficacia. :?

Rispondi